Re: NSAttributedString <=> Rtf

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: NSAttributedString <=> Rtf
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 12:25:22 +0200

Lloyd Dupont wrote:
> is there any way to have a 1 or 2 way conversion?

Yes, partly. As you can see from the Cocoa specification there are
methods on NSAttributedString to create one from an RTF data object (for
example initWithRTF:documentAttributes:) and others to store one as
such. These methods have been implemented in GNUstep, but work only
partly. Especally newer RTF formats get not converted correctly. The
specification of RTF that GNUstep tries to implement is more than 10
years old. It has been completely rewritten by Microsoft since then.
Some years ago somebody wanted to reimplement the whole RTF parsing, but
nothing come of it, so we keep on fixing some of the known problems.
If you are interested in improving this, you can find interesting
examples at the Microsoft web site.

RTF generation is an easier task, still I would think, there is a lot,
we could improve here.

Text converters (not just RTF but HTML as well), look like an area
nobody is interested in, but are nicely separated from the rest of
GNUstep. Perhaps we should use a bit of the donated money to get
somebody working on them?

Cheers
Fred