Re: Flash Demo

From: Lars Sonchocky-Helldorf
Subject: Re: Flash Demo
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2005 18:01:02 +0200

Am Sonntag, 26.06.05 um 15:30 Uhr schrieb Nicolas Roard:

Hi,

I recorded a flash video demonstrating Gorm and the StepTalk palette:
http://www.xdev.org/gnustep/demo.html
(and additionally I recorded it with Camaelon activated, so it's shiny (too shiny
to be useable some would say ;-) , but perfect for a demo)

With the StepTalk palette you can program entire applications entirely in Gorm -- It should be interesting for quickly build applications (if you need something fast, you
can always add a normal ObjC object)

We could perhaps submit that to /., etc (good occasion to talk about GNUstep no ?)

Nicely done indeed, but before we put that on slashdot I think we should have a updated Live-CD (Gurkan?) to make the access to GNUstep as easy as possible for the novice user. Otherwise the complex installation process of GNUstep and the additional libraries could easily frustrate (especially if you see how great the demo is and everything looks) and shy away the newbies (everybody who knows how to make GNUstep / Gorm / StepTalk / Camaelon work won't need that demo anyway ...).

So we should have a refreshed Live-CD with the latest releases of all the stuff, possibly we should also wait until that pending binary compatibility breaking release is out to avoid upcoming hassles on the user side. It would also be good to have the .gorm files used in the demo available in some folder that accompanies the StepTalk palette on the CD.

So for the novice user it would be only five steps:

1. See the demo
2. Be completely blown away by it
3. Download the Live-CD
4. Repeat the Demo