Re: how to compile in debug mode? (I'm on WIndows)

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: how to compile in debug mode? (I'm on WIndows)
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 06:01:42 +0100

On 2005-06-23 02:06:06 +0100 Lloyd Dupont <lloyd@nova-mind.com> wrote:

yep, I finally found that out.

mhh.. quite difficult. depending on my running context (from VS.NET debugger, from gdb, from the console line (without debugging), with or without debug library) the problem don't happen at the same time :(

I tend to believe there is a pointer error in gnustep-base, but where...??...

I know the base library is pretty good at that sort of thing ... because I use valgrind on programs quite frequently to track down really tricky errors in my distributed objects applications (built on top of the base library) ... but unfortunately there is no guarantee that there aren't problems which show up only on windows :-(

Really, if you have a problem with uninitialised pointers and/or overwriting the ends of buffers etc, it's incredibly difficult to track down without a good tool. I guess there must be good memory debug tools for windows (but I'm not really a windows programmer) and would recommend that you find and use one. I recall that 'Purify' (a commercial product) has a good reputation, but I would be surprised if there aren't free products too.