Re: customize GNUstep

From: Quentin Mathé
Subject: Re: customize GNUstep
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 23:56:55 +0200

 From: Quentin Mathé [mailto:gnustep-quentin@club-internet.fr]

Well currently GSToolbarView supports custom colors but this feature is not documented because it may change a bit. Initially I asked on - dev list about possibility to add toolbar colors support in system colors list but I didn't obtain a positive answer, that's why I decided to implement it in
a separate color list called "System

Hm, well did you get a negative answer? I don't see why you couldn't add it,
although I think I forgot or didn't see your original proposal.

I don't recall seeing it either ... not that it proves anything ... it could easily have got on to the list perfectly well and still been missed in the quantity of email I get.

Sorry, you are right, I didn't post such proposal on the list. I probably discussed it in a private mail or on irc. I don't remember who gave me the negative answer (I would say Fred or Alexander or Gregory… that's pretty vague :-)

I guess that it should use the same colors that MacOS-X does... perhaps controlColor and controlBackgroundColor?

Mac OS X doesn't use a color provided through NSColor (like windowBackgroundColor, controlBackgroundColor etc.) but a custom private color.

Does a toolbar do anything not already covered by the system colors implemented for GNUstep ... I thought we had a pretty complete list.

Theoretically controlBackgroundColor would the right choice because NSToolbar isn't a precisely bounded clickable area like a button, but a clickable area which varies with displayed content like a table view or a browser column. However controlBackgroundColor is currently white in GNUstep and that's the problem because a completely white toolbar would be ugly.

For this reason I wanted to introduce another color value for toolbar background which would be available in GNUstep NSColor implementation (unlike Cocoa). For the border color, I may try NSBox color… but I remember to have tried various shades of gray available with NSColor before deciding to use a custom gray for the border too.

Quentin.

--
Quentin Mathé
qmathe@club-internet.fr