Re: Core Foundation support?

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Core Foundation support?
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 22:23:26 +0100

On 2005-06-22 21:32:52 +0100 Sam Lauber <sam124@operamail.com> wrote:

It says in the GNUstep developer FAQ that Core Foundation should not be used. Would it be a good idea for me to make a free implementation?

Samuel Lauber

P.S. Please reply to me, I am having problems with the list.

Last time I recall this being discussed, there was a strong consensus that Core Foundation was a bad API ... and that a proper object oriented language is the way to go to write good code... so we really, really did not want to rewrite gnustep core libraries in terms of a lower level Core Foundation C library, expending a lot of effort and making the base library less efficient and less maintanable.

A key feature of Core Foundation is then 'toll free bridging' to Cocoa objects ... and it's hard to see how you can get that for GNUstep without an intimate relationship between Core Foundation and the GNUstep base library.

However, that does not mean we are against it in principle (well, I'm not against it ... I'm not completely sure the issue came up in generla discussion) ... if the Core Foundation stuff was implemented as a C wrapper round the GNUstep base library, it would make it easier to port MacOS-X application which use Core Foundation to GNUstep. Whether that's a goal that's worth your time and energy is youre judgment call.