Re: NSComboBox : how to set the width properly ?

From: Stéphane Goujet
Subject: Re: NSComboBox : how to set the width properly ?
Date: Sat, 21 May 2005 15:32:58 GMT

On Sat, 21 May 2005, Fred Kiefer wrote:

It is the same if one uses the sizeToFit method. I find that totally illogical : NSComboBox calculates the width to fit on the text field, but then it does not use it to set its own text field width... instead it substracts from it the button width. So a sizeToFit never fits, the end of the text is hidden by the button...
This seems to be a real problem. NSComboBoxCell does not implement the method cellSize, which should return the optimal size for the text cell plus the button.

Also, there is an extra problem. When you set the frame width to be the width of the text field plus the width of the button, the display of the original NSComboBox is OK. But when you click on the button and the list appears, the scroller is again inside the text field. I mean it takes some room, so the space for texts in the list is too short again. I think that in Cocoa, the scroller does not steal space from the text fields, it is added on the right of the list (under the button). Isn't that better ? Like that there is not this width problem in the list, and because it is on the right of the list, the text fields of the list are aligned with the text field of the NSComboBox. Also the use of the mouse pointer is easier, because you do not have to go from the button on the right to the scroller on the left ; you just have to move the mouse down.
  What is your opinion ?

Goodbye,
         Stéphane.