Re: Objective-C++

From: Travis Griggs
Subject: Re: Objective-C++
Date: Fri, 6 May 2005 23:48:22 -0700

On Apr 26, 2005, at 18:23, Greg Parker wrote:

<snip>

* GC
Apple is working on a garbage collection system for Objective-C. It is still under development, but does not use the Boehm GC available in GNUstep. These compiler changes mostly add a write barrier when assigning Objective-C instance pointers to ivars and a few other places. The write barrier is a runtime function, and is similar to the fast dispatching above. This is likely to evolve further, and probably isn't interesting for GNUstep yet.
<snip>

This is very interesting indeed. As a long time Smalltalk programmer, I really like objc, but the lack of a real memory management story is always frustrating. I'm maintaining/evolving a large relatively complex C program. I've played with C++'izing it. I've played with objc'ing it. I'm currently playing with GC'ing it via the Boehm collector. This change is by far the most liberating and useful of the three (keep in mind that a Smalltalker well knows the power of objects in a program).

The gnu gcc stuff has the ability to compile with and link against a Boehm gcc version of the runtime. I've found it really handy. I'm curious _why_ you wouldn't choose to start with the Boehm solution?

I do find it ironic that the same update set includes a) stuff to make the programmers life easier (automatic memory mangement) and b) stuff to pollute your program with possibly the most complex language known to mankind. :)

--
Travis Griggs
Objologist

DISCLAIMER: This email is bound by the terms and conditions described at
http://www.key.net/disclaimer.htm