Re: GNUstep Coding Standard Additions

From: David Ayers
Subject: Re: GNUstep Coding Standard Additions
Date: Sun, 01 May 2005 12:12:59 +0200

Sheldon Gill wrote:
>> FWIW...  I believe that better specification of coding standards is a
>> good thing.  I don't have strong feelings either way for most of the
>> issues mentioned.  But I think we would get a lot more headway in this
>> subject if we "s/standards/guidelines/" suggesting that we won't
>> reject/revert patches that do not conform, but that anyone can jump in
>> and fix these issues as they please.
>

> I believe the policy of the project has always been not to reject
> patches that don't conform but rather to accept them and make them
> conform in time.
>
> Isn't that the case?

I depends on the extent.  If the patch doesn't follow the basics, then
yes, I think it's generally rejected.  But if they are 'minor' issues I
believe the have been accepted in the past and often then cleaned up by
the committer.  Of course the decision on what is acceptable can be very
subjective.  OTOH there are cases where someone picks up on a rejected
patch and does the footwork for the sake of the functionality.

Cheers,
David