Re: Objective-C++

From: Mike Stump
Subject: Re: Objective-C++
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 19:06:35 -0700

On Apr 26, 2005, at 5:35 PM, Lars Sonchocky-Helldorf wrote:
I'm pushing the Objective-C++ frontend into the FSF source tree on mainline. In doing this, I'm also pushing various updates to the Objective-C language; fast dispatching, GC, a new warning or two, a way to get at C++ ctors/dtors from a ObjC method. Most of these would require library work to be complete.

Does GC here stand for Garbage Collection?

Yup.

If so, how is it supposed to work (in contrast to retain/release/ autorelease and the already possible Boehm GC)?

:-)

Carefully. I'm not the expert in the feature. You can use -fobjc-gc to see what it does. Mainly, it does two things, generates write barriers and fleshes out _OBJC_IMAGE_INFO with information used by the runtime. It also adds an attribute "objc_gc", and intercepts for ivar assignment, global assignment... For more details, I'd refer you to the code. I don't think we have a write-up on it.

I mention them, just in case someone here would like to flesh out the libobjc.