Re: Install gnustep-base standalone

From: dieymir
Subject: Re: Install gnustep-base standalone
Date: 25 Apr 2005 09:27:29 -0700

Helge Hess <helge.hess@opengroupware.org> wrote in message
news:<mailman.2775.1114294178.2895.discuss-gnustep@gnu.org>...
> On 23. Apr 2005, at 15:51 Uhr, dieymir wrote:
> > I was using libFoundation
> > because it can be installed in that way but unfortunately it seems to
> > be a bit inmature so
>
> What did you find 'inmature' about libFoundation?
>
> Greets,
>    Helge
It's a bit inmature if you compare it with gnustep-base, you have
listed some of the caveats in TODO, incomplete UTF support (not a
problem for me) in NSString, some classes unimplemented or not
complete, more testing needed ... gnustep has more developers , more
users, more testing.

I think that you need to make libFoundation more publicly available.
If you go to its project page:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/libfoundation
You'll find there version 0.9.0 February 1999, in fact I thought that
the project has been abandoned until someone pointed me to OGo, where
after some searching I was able to find the download of version 1.0.72
(I think this is the current one).

In fact I'm very interesting in libFoundation because I want to
program in Objective-C and any modern OO language needs an utility
library like C++ STL or Java API to be completely useful, I think that
the lack of such thing makes lot of harm to ObjC. gnustep-base has the
problem that it's very integrated in the GNUstep environment and it's
not intended to be used standalone like any other library you can link
and this is what I like about libFoundation.

OK, sorry for the 'braindump'.