Re: Install gnustep-base standalone

From: Sheldon Gill
Subject: Re: Install gnustep-base standalone
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2005 10:40:28 +0800

dieymir wrote:
I'm afraid of that (hardcoded paths), I was using libFoundation
because it can be installed in that way but unfortunately it seems to
be a bit inmature so, finally,  I decided to go with gnustep-base. I
wonder if would be much difficult make it install and work
standalone...

Now that you've said you're considering moving from libFoundation to gnustep-base it seems apparent to me that you don't need nor care about the gui layer. That makes your wish a lot easier.

Actually, not that much is hardcoded. With the recent configuration file changes it becomes easier to move a lot of it. The real problem, in essence, is that the system expects the heirarachy. Some parts can move around but the layout expectations remain.

Base needs information files for its use. They're stored in the Resources directory because its a Bundle. That is the essential problem you face. By putting the library in /usr/lib and the resource files in various plasces elsewhere you're breaking the Bundle and upsetting things. If you want to do that you're going to need to make a number of source code changes.

If you keep them together you can put them into /usr/lib/Resources/gnustep-base and it should work if you've set PLATFORM_LIBS=/usr/lib in the configuration file .

One exception. NSTimeZone doesn't behave well in this regard. There are a few issues which I have or am in the process of fixing. Nothing committed to CVS yet, though.

Regards,
Sheldon