Re: rpm packaging problems

From: Riccardo
Subject: Re: rpm packaging problems
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2005 10:54:50 +0200

Hello,

On Tuesday, April 5, 2005, at 01:44 AM, Richard Stonehouse wrote:
I'm interested because I've been doing some RPM builds for SuSE 9.1
and /haven't/ had the problem. Is there some important step that I'm
missing?

thank you for your interest. I'm using your spec files as a starting point.

<cut>

 - standard libobjc at /usr/lib/libobjc.so.1.0.0 (not the GNUstep
   "special" libobjc),
the build doesn't seem to have any difficulty finding the libobjc
library. I'll e-mail you separately with the spec file (based on the
one in the gnustep-base source tarball).

I think herein lies the difference. your libobjc is found without problems by the linker since it is in a standard system place. Since I have an older compiler revision I _need_ the libobjc version put in a non-default place. Thus I think you don't even notice your LD_LIBRARY_PATH is not set. It might also be that newer rpm version have different defaults. I don't know. MkLinux R2 will surely use rpm 4.0, it is already a big upgrade from version 3.0 we were currently using and rpm 4.1 is not compatible with the 3.0 database and cannot read it, so it makes an upgrade impossible.

cheers,
   Riccardo