Re: GTK Cocoa ?

From: Banlu Kemiyatorn
Subject: Re: GTK Cocoa ?
Date: Sat, 2 Apr 2005 11:19:10 +0700

On Apr 1, 2005 1:56 PM, CM <c.mench@adilinstruments.com> wrote:

> In fact I dreamed of the the opposite...
>
> Having Gnustep using GTK as a 'back-end'
> (in fact it whould be a gnustep-gui modification)

I don't see why it is good to use GTK+ as a backend.
GTK+ has limitations ie. They can't neither scale nor rotate.
Some GNUstep apps could be useless with GTK+ backend.
It is pointless to downgrade GNUstep just to make it
looks exactly like a crappy toolkit that for reason has dominated
a tiny segment of the whole world's desktop market.

But using GDK to replace back-x11 is another thing.
I think there are good points for doing that. GDK has
a really clean X11 wrapper implementation. May be
we can benefit from its portability for the windowing system
part and window hinting.

> I would like using NSxx classes and ObjC on
> what I consider now as the native toolkit of linuxes...

A theme should solve the problem. May be we can
steal their theme engine some how. GTK+ is now moving to
Cairo, if we use our cairo backend, with the theme engine,
it should be possible to produce exactly same result.

> I don't know if anybody understand the approach,
> but a multuiple time in this list it was considered
> that GNUStep should embrace the look of the platform
> it runs on. I understand that with Camelon theme we
> can approch it, but using the platform native thing
> is better...

Another problem is GTK+ doesn't have global menu system.
For the problem, I think it makes more sense to alter
GTK+'s behavior, not GNUstep's. Like what QT did with
their OSX port.