Re: Gorm & Camaelon

From: Gregory John Casamento
Subject: Re: Gorm & Camaelon
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 06:33:08 -0800 (PST)

Quentin,

--- Quentin Mathé <gnustep-quentin@club-internet.fr> wrote:
> Le 22 mars 05, à 13:37, Gregory John Casamento a écrit :
>
> > Do the following:
> >
> > defaults write Gorm AllowUserBundles YES
> >
> > You'll still get the warning, but Gorm will not quit.
>
> I just tested it (I saw you changed it in cvs too), it works but AppKit
> user bundles are not loaded it seems… We should discuss a way to have
> at least Camaelon bundle enabled with Gorm. In fact Camaelon doesn't
> override encoding related methods (outside NSBrowser currently but I'm
> not sure) then it shouldn't be a problem to have it enabled with Gorm
> (except with CLImage posed class which could need to be handled in
> special manner)… that's right or is there other problem I'm missing ?

Yes, there is another issue. :)

Encoding is one part of the problem.  Currently, Camaelon does not change the
encoding of any class.   Using poseAs:, however, *does* cause a to change the
class name which is used in the archive, which is a problem when subsequently
trying to load that archive without Camaelon running.  For instance, if I have
a user bundle which uses poseAs to make Image take the place of NSImage (which
is the case with Camaelon), this causes the issue since any NSImage instance
will be saved with the class name "Image".  Such an archive would be unreadable
without Camaelon loaded, since the class "Image" doesn't exist in GNUstep
itself.   Nicolas has corrected this in Camaelon 2 by making the classForCoder
method in the Image class and return the NSImage class, which causes the
archiver to use the correct class when encoding.

Since Camaelon 2 is not, as of yet, released people are still using Camaelon 1.
 The older version has the issue described above and thus people run the risk
of corrupting their .gorm files if they edit them while in Gorm using Camaelon
1.  I put the warnings in to prevent this.

I am open to discussing a better way to handle it, if anyone has any ideas.  I
believe the best solution at this point is for Camaelon 2 to be released so
that this becomes a non-issue.  I believe also that an entry should be made in
the FAQ concerning user bundles explaining this precise issue and how to get
around it.

Regards, GJC

Gregory John Casamento
-- CEO/President Open Logic Corp. (A MD Corp.)
## Maintainer of Gorm (IB Equiv.) for GNUstep.