Re: Installer UI advices

From: Graham J Lee
Subject: Re: Installer UI advices
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 10:29:57 +0000

On 15 Mar 2005, at 09:24, Markus Hitter wrote:

Am 15.03.2005 um 03:23 schrieb M. Uli Kusterer:

Slowdowns are the least of my worries. Security is more of an issue. I don't think an application that has just been downloaded but not launched should be scanned. Otherwise it'd be the equivalent of AutoStart ... :-o

There's a little difference between scanning a bundle for what it contains and actually executing something. :-)

You are right, this has to be done carefully to not allow execution of unwanted code. You don't want to get this unknown app over there in the net to be used when you double-click a commonly known document. It's similar to setting the PATH variable mindfully.

Aqua currently has a dialogue saying "Opening the file will cause the application [...] to be launched for the first time, are you *REALLY* *REALLY* sure you want me to do this?" or words to that effect. I think that's a good compromise between automatic availability of new apps and security. So is failing to honour setuid on removable media, but that's an OS/FS issue :-)
--
Graham Lee                       GPG Key ID: 01D5B9D8
UNIX Systems Manager, Oxford Physics Practical Course