Re: GWorkspace 0.7.0, System, Applications and restart

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: GWorkspace 0.7.0, System, Applications and restart
Date: 14 Mar 2005 19:49:20 GMT

Enrico Sersale <enrico@dtedu.net> wrote:
> I've GNUSTEP_INSTALLATION_DIR = $(GNUSTEP_SYSTEM_ROOT) in
> all the makefiles. And the app looks for its tools only in
> System. This to avoid problems with duplicate elements.

What do you mean by "duplicate elements"? Will it break things
if I patch out that line in the makefiles?

> On 2005-03-14 19:47:03 +0200 MJ Ray <mjr@dsl.pipex.com> wrote:
> > 2. Even with it installed into /System, GWorkspace can't start
> > Operation or Recycler itself and disables file operations. When
> > they are run manually, it all works but they get their own
> > app-icons - should they appear, or is my wm missing a hint?
> This is an old problem that has been reported also for
> Inspector when it was a separate application. I've never
> been able to reproduce it, neither on my linuxes nor on
> OS X. So, I can't say anything... The code is very simple;
> GWorkspace tries to contact the application and, if it can't,
> tell NSWorkspace to launch it and waits some seconds in a
> loop re-trying to contact it. The very strange thing is that
> the same code is used also for all the gworkspace tools,
> fswatcher, ddbd, etc. and I've never heard of problems, in
> this case. With the tools, the only difference is that GW
> launches a NSTask instead of using the NSWorkspace method.

GWorkspace/GWorkspace.m:1807 here is where Operation launches.
As far as I can tell, it isn't ever launching a process.
Comparing with ddbd's start, it seems that one works out the
path first and gives it to NSTask. Would I get an error message
anywhere if it can't find the application by name?

make_services doesn't complain and openapp runs it fine.
I'm using gnustep-make Version 1.10.0, gnustep-base Version
1.10.1, gnustep-gui Version 0.9.4, gnustep-back Version 0.9.4
in case anyone knows a bug.

I browsed the Changelog and bug tracker and didn't see anything
obviously affecting this.

> > 3. When I quit GWorkspace and restart, only one Viewer reappears.
> > The other one is lost. Is this a known bug, or local misconfig?
> No, it's not a known bug; GWorkspace must remember all the
> windows and their positions.
> Try to remove all the GWorkspace dictionary from .GNUstepDefaults.

I just tried that. Now it's the other window that is "lost". The
lost one has an odd title "/ - /" but I'm not sure if that is
significant. What I do:

1. start GWorkspace
2. Click OK on the two warnings (mtab and mount points)
3. pick Tools -> Viewer
4. Position and adjust its size, directory and make it an icon view
5. Pick Quit
6. start GWorkspace
7. click OK on the two warnings
8. only one viewer appears, not the one made in 3 and 4

I'll drop this system back to 0.6.3 before users complain,
but I'll keep 0.7.0 around in case I can get more debug output.

--
Thanks,

MJR