Re: GNUstep on win32: compile and link issues

From: Alex Perez
Subject: Re: GNUstep on win32: compile and link issues
Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2005 16:04:23 -0800

Mike Powell wrote:
Hello, first time post...

I write win32 C++ code would like to learn the feel of objective-C and the
NextStep Framework.  After a day of surfing, downloading, compiling and
installing GNUstep-base-1.10.1-gui-0.9.4.exe, I understand the basics of
building GNUstep based applications on the win32+mingw platform and can compile
and link many of the example GUI programs found in gnustep-examples-1.0.0.  I
cannot, however, get either Gorm 0.9.2 or ProjectCenter 0.4.2 to link due to
dllwrap.exe and/or dlltool.exe (I think). Please see compiler output at the end
of this post for details related to my attempt to compile and link Gorm.

This is a known issue, and is related to the way -make uses dlltool/dllwrap. It's in the process of being fixed, practically as we speak. Stay tuned; Do not lose interest, I beg of you.

Question 1: Has has anyone gotten either Gorm or ProjectCenter to compile and
run in the new win32 base-1.10.1+gui-0.9.4 environment?

At least one person has, yes, and he was the author of the patch to -make which moves away from using dlltool and moves towards using gcc and nm directly.

Question 2: I notice there is recent win32 development activity.  Should
potential win32 users and wanna-be developers just hold tight?

Yes, but please, it's important for people who have tried win32 and are waiting for the fixes to be applies to make noise, because otherwise there's no way for the devs, most of whom live in the non-win32 world, to realize that there really /is/ a demand/need for good, solid GNUstep-win32 compatibility.

Thanks, GNUstep on win32 looks very promising.
Indeed it does!