Re: Minor Problems with Emacs.app

From: Adrian Robert
Subject: Re: Minor Problems with Emacs.app
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 12:10:25 -0500

On Feb 18, 2005, at 3:46 PM, Charles Philip Chan wrote:

I have recently compiled and am trying out Emacs.app. Great work, however I
have some minor problems:

(1) The scrollbars are narrower than my other GNUstep apps.

This is by design for now.. The display engine renders text into a grid that includes the scrollbar. Using the NeXT-standard width results in a large blank space between the scrollbar and the first character for most font sizes I tried. It should be fixed rather than worked around but that's the best I could find for now.

(2) It doesn't seem to read the .emacs I have in my home directory. Where
should I put the resources?

Hmm... Can you try starting emacs in a couple of different ways ("$GNUSTEP_LOCAL_ROOT/Applications/Emacs.app/Emacs" , "openapp Emacs", and from GWorkspace) and see if the problem occurs in all cases?

Also, does anyone know if there are any plans of porting Emacs 21?

Once the 20 port is fully stabilized, it should be a good base for starting on 21. Hopefully a month or two.

Also, if I apply the GUI patch for emacs.app, ViewPDF wouldn't even start.
This is the only app that does that.

My guess here is that you might need to recompile ViewPDF and the PDFKit it depends on. The patch adds instance variables to GUI classes, which causes binary incompatibility, which is why it is still a patch..