Re: Re:

From: Nicolas Roard
Subject: Re: Re:
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2005 01:55:22 +0000

On 2005-02-18 20:06:20 -0500 Charles Philip Chan <cpchan@sympatico.ca> wrote:

I actually like the battleship grey- it is unobtrusive and allow me to concentrate on my work.

I like it too.  A lot of people are sickened by it.  It turns them off.

I doubt it's because it's "grey". A *lot* of people (and I mean, not just NeXT lovers, casual users) like the grey tonality, because with it, the UI doesn't come in the way of the user. Having a gray tonality is a good thing, particularly for graphics arts (because then your eye isn't bothered with "wrong" colors).

That's why OSX is now much more greyer -- even if it's a bit too bright to not be a bit annoying.

When people moan about GNUstep's UI, they don't really moan about the grey. They moan about the ugly icons, the square widgets, etc. Most UI have neutralized colors, ie a shade of gray (more or less bright). That's a good thing.

GNUstep's grey could be seen as a bit too dark, but it's more a problem of tuning your display than it's because it's "grey". With a wrong gamma correction, the contrast is often a bit too high and thus it looks a bit ugly.. The livecd includes an application to change your gamma, which is quite handy to show that.

Personally, I think we should keep a grey tonality -- but I want better icons (thanks to jesse, that starts to be a reality sonner than I thought), and perhaps a bit of polishing of the widgets of the NeXT theme. And of course I wouldn't mind a more modern-looking theme in addition of the NeXT theme, but well, that's another story.. ;-)

But yes, the "base" gray is a bit too contrasted compared to the highlight color on many displays; sure, you could say it's the display fault (that would be true), but I think increasing slightly the brightness of the base (window and control backgrounds) and shadow colors would help a bit (see backbone's screenshots, even if they are perhaps a bit too bright, it's the idea..)

--
Nicolas Roard
 -Arthur C. Clarke