Re: GWorkspace next release (Was: Re: GWorkspace's Tabbed Shelf)

From: M. Uli Kusterer
Subject: Re: GWorkspace next release (Was: Re: GWorkspace's Tabbed Shelf)
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 11:23:33 +0100

At 20:50 Uhr -0500 17.02.2005, Charles Philip Chan wrote:
Yes you can, but if there are a lot of files and directory in the folder, you
will have to:

(1) Hunt down the LiveSearch.lsf folder.
(2) Click on it.
(3) Rename the folder.

This is a lot of unnecessary steps. Also what happens if there is already a
LiveSearch.lsf folder in the directory and you want to keep it?

In my projects, I use a method that takes a filename and, if it exists, appends a number to the name (*before* the suffix). That way, I always get a unique name. GWorkspace may benefit from that. I could provide you with that code if it'd help.

As to "hunting down" a folder or file: Does GNUstep do type-ahead-selection yet? Type-ahead-selection means you enter the first couple letters of a filename and the first file whose name starts with these characters will be selected. Usually, one or two characters are enough, but it allows for entering the complete name if that is needed.
--
Cheers,
M. Uli Kusterer