Filing system abstraction

From: Daniel Hanlon
Subject: Filing system abstraction
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2005 14:39:36 +0000

Hello,

I've recently been working on a KIOslave for KDE. This is effectively a class which implements an interface to provide a new filing system for any KDE application, in my case for GridFTP - an extended version of FTP for grid computing, but lots of others exist to allow, for example, an application to transparently access files on other machines etc..

I'm a complete beginner with GNUstep etc... but am interested to know whether it's possible to do somethings similar within this framework and thus allow the same functionality to work on Linux or MacOS.

If anyone can give me any hints whether this type of filing system abstraction exists here and any pointers to where I might find out more about it I'd be very grateful.

Thanks in advance,

Daniel.

Daniel Hanlon
CCLRC e-Science Centre,