Re: Look and Feel

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: Look and Feel
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 21:23:06 +0000

This was a throwaway quip on the end to draw attention to the problems
of firefox's current inclusion of non-free-software artwork. Oh well.

Alex Perez wrote:
> MJ Ray wrote:
> > By the way, do you have permission to use the copyrighted firefox
> > trademark artwork to promote gnustep? It's not GPL, IIRC ;-)
> Please! You've obviously never heard of Fair Use.

I've heard of it, but it's not in the English legislation. There's
only this weaker "Fair Dealing" thing. You've obviously never heard
of the rest of the world. (Yeah, I know that's a daft claim, but no
dafter than yours.)

> [...] If I make a screenshot of my Windows environment, I don't need to
> get permission from Microsoft to use the Internet Explorer Icon if I
> advertise my new app via a screenshot.

Indeed, but that's incidental inclusion rather than deliberate use of
the artwork when making a montage.

EOT