Re: Look and Feel

From: Charles Philip Chan
Subject: Re: Look and Feel
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 15:37:24 -0500

On February 10, 2005 2:29 pm, Raphael Bosshard wrote:

Well I guess I should join the fun and put in my 2 cents.

> First of all; I would welcome a new icon theme, as I would a new default
> look.  I like the OpenStep-Framework and enjoy programming in
> Objectiv-C. But it just makes no fun if your applications look like
> time-warped from the 80ies.

IMHO, the UI itself is not dated at all. What makes GNUstep "ugly" are the
icons themselves. I change mine to the old NeXTstep icons and it looks great
(I know that shipping NeXTstep icons with GNUstep might not be feasible due
to copyrights). Take a look at a NeXTstep desktop and judge for yourself:

http://www120.pair.com/mccarthy/nextstep/intro.htmld/

> However; what I really would like to see is the ability to use already
> existing icon themes, GNOME icon themes, KDE, whatever. A lot of work
> could be saved this way and especially GNOME has some fine icon themes.

Choice is good, I myself much prefer the Dover clipart style NeXTstep icons.

> What I also would like to see is some further development in the OS X
> direction. OS X is currently considered the most advanced user
> interface.

Matter of opinion. At first I found the interface striking. However, after
using it for a while, I found the auto resizing icons in the dock and the eye
candy distracting.

One of my interests is to check out different GUI's. The most usable ones that
I have found so far are NeXTstep and Desqview/X.

> The top-screen menubar is one thing but there are other issues.

Top menubars and other horizontal menubars are fine until you try using it on
a large screen.

> I don't suggest that GNUStep should try to become Aqua on Linux. GNUStep
> has a personality. But similary to humans, user interfaces can evolve,
> without loosing that personality.

IMHO I think we should follow the Openstep guidelines when it comes to default
looks on different platform- NeXTstep (classic or updated) for L/Unix, and
native look for Windows and Mac. Of course I am not against the idea of theme
bundles- choice is good.

Charles