Re: Look and Feel

From: M. Uli Kusterer
Subject: Re: Look and Feel
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 21:21:09 +0100

At 18:57 Uhr +0000 13.02.2005, Nicolas Roard wrote:
Yes, that's why we need a default theme, or at most, two (classic/modern)

If you want my personal opinion: I like the old NeXT theme, so I would personally be in favor of keeping the general drift. However, I think it could use to be slightly freshened up. Some of the current approaches (making it a tad brighter, adding some gradients), plus smoothing one or two rough edges and making the spacing of one or two elements less crammed (yes, I'm looking at you tabs), are basically what I think is needed at most.

As I advocated on the gnustep-ui list, I really think GNUstep should focus on the toolkit part; other projects -- desktop based on GNUstep, like Garma, Backbone, étoilé.. -- could have the liberty of choosing another theme than the default NeXT theme, as it seems many core GNUstep devs don't want to change the NeXT theme to something like
http://jesseross.com/clients/gnustep/ui/concepts/01/ui.png ...

Personally, I wouldn't object to that theme, though it obviously looks rather MacOS X-ish. Maybe there'd be some way to make this look a little more like the old NeXT theme again.

Bluntly, I think there is two kind of people here -- the ones that want a NeXT desktop, and the ones that wouldn't mind improving on it. Why not then just leave that to different projects... as one said earlier in the thread, let's the public pick the winner. Anyway most of the code (and probably will) could be reused among projects.

Personally, I think it isn't a good idea to cater to people who only want a NeXT clone without improvements. We've had people like that on the FreeCard project right from the start, and it never got anywhere. Of course it's hard to find a common viewpoint as to what constitutes an improvement and what is making things worse, but if someone just wants a 100% NeXT clone and stop there, I think they'd be better off just buying a used NeXTcube or slate and be happy.

GNUstep's role should only be to provide an easy way to change the theme -- and that's already the case.

 I wasn't aware the new Chamaeleon had already been released?
--
Cheers,
M. Uli Kusterer