Re: Look and Feel

From: Randi Joseph
Subject: Re: Look and Feel
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 03:03:50 -0500

Hello Everyone,

I think that it is very important that certain aspects of the interface be customizable. In particular, a static/floating menubar option and left/right. Lets face it, left scrollbars might be intuitive to old NeXT users, but it is absolutely foreign to 99% of the world. It seems sensible to some degree for left-handed users, but flat out disconcerting for right-handed people.

Themeability is not enough.

Apple spends millions of dollars getting its interface right. Even Steve Jobs who manages to force a single button mouse down our throats realized that an made the change.

Critical issues like this must be very well thought through before implementation.

That aside, I must say that I am VERY dissapointed to see KDE and GNOME take such a lead over a GNUSTEP based environment.

It will be easier to sell (GNUSTEP/Objective-C) to developers if some of apple's well thought out interface ideas are adopted.

-randi