Re: Look and Feel

From: Riccardo
Subject: Re: Look and Feel
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 11:26:05 +0100

Hey,

On Friday, February 11, 2005, at 12:33 AM, Raphael Bosshard wrote:

I know that GNUStep has the ability to use themes. But what I am talking about it the default theme. NO matter how may themes there are; the first impression is always the default theme. And the current theme is not very impressive.

I don't mind the presence of themes in GNUstep. I don't care for them and I can actually encourage them since so many people seem to be bothered immensely about this look and feel. I myself almost never change something, I notice the differences and think some looks are better than others, but I rarely even change the defaults colors (well, except with WindowMaker where I need to next-ify it back).

My points are that: the default theme should remain as much as close to NeXT as possible. Call it "consistency" or "coherency". The other themes might look modern or stylish, but they still should retain a clean and professional look. Also having themes should be a burden in terms of more complex options, in more bloat or slowness for the user who wishes the real look.

I use both Aqua and GNUstep and I don't have hard feelings against each of them. GNUstep has that "clean look" that aqua (at least up to 10.2) seems to lack. On the other hand, with the time, I got quite used with Aqua and it is "very well usable" I like how it can adapt from 800x600 to 1280x1024. I like the consistency in actions and positions. But here often it is more application dependent. SOme gnustep applications are a bit more cumbersome (gworkspace or project center against their mac cunterparts). BUt this is often more due to some small flaws than "GNUstep" spirit in general. I think that GNUstep should be theoretically capable of running on laptop-size screen: looking at the single widgets they are mor compact! Aqua widgets are "big" and this is one of the things I dislike. But the aqua dock and menu arrangement are just more "place saving" probably. In fact the impression is more geared towards Apple applications (and well designed ones) that are very consistent and appealing. Only the sgi indigomagic has that consistency all over bundled applications. Then "bad" ones are everywhere.

Possibly a consistent icon design all over the main gnustep applications could already enhance the impression. This being valid for every theme.

Cheers,

  Riccardo