Re: GWorkspace odd behaviour

From: Robin Rawson-Tetley
Subject: Re: GWorkspace odd behaviour
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 09:08:31 +0000

> methinks, that there are no apps registered, yet, to handle those file
> types and thus you see no proper icons. I don't know what the Debian
> package is installing as I set up my system from CVS, usually. Hence it
> might be that there are no apps or app wrappers installed, yet. Will
> double-clicking have any effect? If not, this is another indication that
> apps are missing.

I take it that apps need registering with GWorkspace then? I have just
about every GNUstep app I could find installed, and I also have the
appwrappers installed too.

If I navigate to $GNUSTEP_SYSTEM_ROOT/Applications then I see them there
ok and double-clicking on them opens them correctly in GWorkspace.

> Be aware that GWorkspace does not handle any file type "out-of-the-box",
> but merely starts the application that registered for a file type and
> displays the icon registered by this app.

Ahh - so the problem must be that no file type handlers are actually
registered in GWorkspace? Any idea how I do this? I've looked through
all the docs and spent a bit of time with Google and can't find any
mention of this. The only bit I can find was on the Debian-supplied
manpage:

   "Besides its standard Contents Inspectors, that is, App, Folder, Image,
Sound,  Pdf-Ps,  Rtf, text,  Plist,  Strings  and Inspector viewers, GWorkspace
can
dynamically load other modules which you can build separately. It is sufficient
to put
them in  a  place  where  GWorkspace looks for them, for example:
~/GNUstep/Library/GWorkspace. In the same way you can add other viewers
besides the standard Browser, Icon and Small Icons viewers.  If you want to
write a new
inspector or a new viewer, take a look in the  Template directory."

Interestingly, I have nothing at all in ~/GNUstep/Library/GWorkspace OR
$GNUSTEP_SYSTEM_ROOT/Library/GWorkspace. I also built GWorkspace from
the latest tarball and it doesn't seem to put anything there either.

> You might find some wrappers for non-GNUstep apps at the GWorkspace web
> page (www.gnustep.it).

I'll take a look.

> Can't halp with your other problems, though. Sorry.

I think the desktop.app problems are related to the same thing (it's
tied heavily into GWorkspace, right?).

Thanks for the reply!

Rob

Robin Rawson-Tetley (robin@rawsontetley.org)