Icon-project

From: ETCS (SW) Jordan, J.D.
Subject: Icon-project
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 07:46:06 -0000

I would like to weigh in on the Icon project,

The whole reason I am interested in GNUstep is the look and feel of the
NeXT.  I have fairly extensive experiance in the computer world getting paid
to repair and set up TRS-80 model 1s before many of you were born.  I have
seen and used dozens of operating systems, window managers and GUI
environments.  The person who designed the NeXT got it right!  I 'm sorry, I
don't remember the guys name, I have it in a book at home (I'm currently in
Bahrain).  But in essence, Steve Jobs got it right by hireing a professional
designer to build the interface.  There has never been a graphical
environment before or after that lived up to that standard.  Now twenty
years later, there have been improvements in usabiility and there are some
aspects of other environments that could be incorporated into GNUstep
thereby improving on the original NeXT environment.  I like most of the
icons produced by Andrew Lindesay, I believe they have the right look and
feel for the environment.  I fully support expanding that selection and
modifying the basic icons to meet the criteria enumerated in the Icons
Guideline Document.  But, if the plan is to move off in a radically
different direction then I have to disagree.  Gnome and KDE have absolutely
horrid icons and basically horrid interfaces, they have no style, no grace
and were pretty obviously engendered by young adults who's only artistic
sense is derived from way too much time wasted staring at Saturday morning
cartoons on television.  I really hope we do not end up with a bunch of
cartoonish icons.  All of that said, I will not complain as long as the
capability to use whatever icons I choose is maintained.

- j