Re: GS on Windows installation report

From: Jason Clouse
Subject: Re: GS on Windows installation report
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2005 13:54:04 -0500

Good idea, however I don't know if GNUstep on windows is in a state
to approach so naively.  From your experience it obviously isn't,
but maybe implementation wise it isn't ready either.
Note that I genuinely don't know, maybe after all the installation
troubles it works perfectly, maybe it doesn't.

I have gotten -gui and -back working reasonably well on Windows. It was buggy, but it worked.

I don't think it would be very difficult to add -gui (and some applications) to the current installer. I'm willing to help, though I'm in the same situation that Wim is in: I only have access to a Windows machine at work.

The biggest hurdle is including more libraries. We need to work with the gnuwin32 people. BTW, those -lib packages from gnuwin32 are the compiled libraries, and the -bin packages are extra tools (like jpegtran, tiff2ps, etc.)

I'll get the ball rolling by wiping GNUstep completely off my work machine Monday and reinstalling. I'll write down everything I have to do to get -gui, -back, and user applications installed. Then we can move on from there.

I'm not familiar with the installer being used. Can we offer the user options at install time? I'm thinking about:

[x] Install GNUstep core
[x] Install GNUstep Development Tools
[x] Install GNUstep User Applications