RE: Fwd: Arguments for Obj-C++ in GCC 4.0

From: Gregory John Casamento
Subject: RE: Fwd: Arguments for Obj-C++ in GCC 4.0
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 13:35:03 -0800 (PST)

--- "Vaisburd, Haim" <HVaisbur@Advent.COM> wrote:

> --- Frederic Stark <gsfred@almonde.com> wrote:
>
> > OTOH, If I read the bug correctly, it seems that casting classes don't
> > work. If this is really the bug, then most Objective-C code out there
> > will not compile.
> >
> > Now, if we could convince the steering commitee that releasing an
> > Objective-C compiler that don't work because nobody reviewed a 10 line
> > patch is somewhat ridiculous, we may get someone from the gcc team to
> > review the patch
> > <http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2004-11/msg00925.html>. And based on
> > previous releases, 4.0.1 will be 2 or 3 months later than 4.0.0...
>
> If I read this correctly, the GCC team has dropped support for Objective C.
> So the subject is a bit misleading: it's not just Objective C - C++
> integration, it's the thing as a whole. Am I right?

No, they haven't dropped support, it's just not a "showstopper" if things don't
work in the ObjC frontend.   They are, of course, only concerned about C, C++
and Java when doing a release.

GJC

=====
Gregory John Casamento
-- CEO/President Open Logic Corp. (A Maryland Corporation)
#### Maintainer of Gorm for GNUstep.