Re: non recursive makefiles

From: Adrian Robert
Subject: Re: non recursive makefiles
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 12:13:09 -0500

IMHO precompiled headers support is much more important as the
compilation speed-up is enormous (day to day experience on Mac OS X
using Xcode).

The ROI (Return On Investment) of working on precompiled headers would be
huge compared to other changes we might develop.

Doesn't the compiler still have to parse in the precomp headers so it can use the structure information there to help parse the rest of the code? (I guess everyone thinks this is much faster than the original .h file reading / parsing, but the stated lack of numbers backing it up prompts a devil's advocate question.)

Also, note speedup in Xcode vs. PB is due to more than just PCH:

- switch to 'jam' instead of 'make'
- extensive use of incremental compilation in background
- zero-link (whatever that is)
- if you are using it, distributed compile