Re: GNUstep on remote displays: Missing default on website documentation

From: Pablo Di Noto
Subject: Re: GNUstep on remote displays: Missing default on website documentation
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2004 09:37:14 -0300

Today I needed again to use GNUstep over an remote X11 display.
I had the same issue with blank windows, and searched the mailing list to review the trick I did last time.

defaults write NSGlobalDomain XWindowBufferUseXShm no

and that's it. I think this is a pretty common situation which should be in the website documentation.

Which version of GNUstep (-back) is this? I committed more extensive checks for whether XShm really works or not 2004-11-10, so if it's newer than that, back-art should have detected that XShm wasn't working.

I'm using Debian, with GNUstep packages made by Eric Heintzmann.
It shows gnustep-back with version 0.9.4-2, with ChangeLog dated 18/11/04.

Anyway, I think that I'm using xlib backend. The package has libart as a dependency, but when I tried setting default backend to libgnustep-art but it complains there is no such bundle.

Are these checks also available for other x11 backends?

Let me know if there is a way to check more specific versions.

Regards,
///Pablo