Re: GDL2 and data source in a file

From: Stefan Urbanek
Subject: Re: GDL2 and data source in a file
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2004 22:36:55 -0500

Hi,

I'm sorry for the late reply.

On Mon, 2004-11-15 at 13:44 +0100, David Ayers wrote:
> stefan@agentfarms.net wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Is it possible to use plain files (CSV or something similar) as data
> > sources in
> > GDL2? For example, I have a file with following columns:
>
> Well... no... but yes... or rather kind of... or should I say, not
> really :-).

Hehe, ok :o) I understand from your clear explanation in your reply. GDL
is for different thing that i wanted to use it for. I want some
ObjectiveC/DB bridge not for object mapping but for fetching large
arrays of values or almost-anonymous structures.

why I asked for file was simple - GDL is kind of DB source independent
so I thought that there is an interface for files in standard
distribution.

<snip>

> But you gain little by using GDL2 if you're mainly going to assemble SQL
> statements yourself.  Maybe SQLClient would be better, OTOH I don't know
> if it's possible to use flat files with the SQLClient library.

How does SQLClient cope with large arrays/queries with many returned
rows?

Thanks,

Stefan
--
http://stefan.agentfarms.net

First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then
you win.
- Mahatma Gandhi