Re: Confused about GnuStep capabilities

From: Gregory John Casamento
Subject: Re: Confused about GnuStep capabilities
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2004 17:24:59 -0800 (PST)

Bazad,

--- bazad <nobody@noreply.not> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am running FreeBSD 5.3-RC1 and I just installed GnuStep.
> I am running KDE.
>
> I start GWorkspace and get an icon.  It seems to have a menu
> associated with it.  The problem with the menu is that it is difficult
> to understand how it works.  I don't mean I don't understand menu
> items.  It is just that sometimes submenus don't show up.  I spent a
> lot of time trying to get menu shown after I hided it.  Basically, the
> main icon is always on top, but I have to click on desktop and then
> double click on icon to get menu back.

Try running it with WindowMaker as the window manager to see if that improves
the menu performance.   It's quite possible that there's a bug when running
under KDE.

> Then I start ProjectCenter and it seems to start, but again menu seems
> to be unpredictable.  I created application project. I tried to
> compile it and compilation failed.  I went to xterm and got it
> compiled by just typing gmake.  When I started sample application it
> displayed a icon and nothing more.  But I've got error messages:
>
>         Unable to obtain time zone 'PST'...
>         NSData.m: 153 file opend (....objects.gorm) -- no such file
>                or directory
>         Failed to load Nib
>         Cannot load the main model file 'LearnGnuStep.gorm'

I'm not sure what's going on here.  It sounds like ProjectCenter may not have
copied the template .gorm file to the new project correctly.

> On the side note.  If I want to create console application, which
> project type is it?  It would be good to find a description of all
> project types.

Tool.

GJC

=====
Gregory John Casamento
-- CEO/President Open Logic Corp. (A Maryland Corporation)
#### Maintainer of Gorm for GNUstep.