Re: Recommended minimum information when submitting bugs...

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: Recommended minimum information when submitting bugs...
Date: 31 Oct 2004 18:24:48 GMT

Gregory John Casamento <greg_casamento@yahoo.com> wrote:
> 1) Processor Architechture
> 2) Operating System (including distribution, don't just say "Linux" also
> please
> provide the kernel version)

These two may give away too much privacy for some people, especially those
working on new distributions.

> 3) Compiler Version
> 4) Base Version
> 5) Gui Version

A big ++ to the idea of an application giving this in the output. I usually
run latest release versions, but I couldn't tell you the numbers OTTOMH or
remember how to check, besides digging through notebooks.

> 6) What failed and in which app and precise steps to recreate the issue.
> 7) Any and all data which was used to cause the problem or, if such data can't
> be provided, a representative test case which illustrates the issue.

This should be on your bug submit form.

I think a higher priority is being able to record bug reporter contact
details *without* requiring Savannah registration. Then you can follow-up
to someone you know to be interested in helping fix GNUstep, having made
it easy for them to provide their first contribution. Asking them up
front to register *and* write an essay on their installed software, some
of which may not be relevant anyway, deters bug reports.

Now, just realised I need to practise what I'm preaching. Thanks for
throwing my own failing into sharp focus!

--
MJR/slef