RE: What backend should be the default now on -nix?

From: Vaisburd, Haim
Subject: RE: What backend should be the default now on -nix?
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 12:01:02 -0700

Nicolas Roard <nicolas@roard.com> wrote:

> Basically, you need to do that: get
> http://w1.423.telia.com/~u42308495/alex/backart/ArtResources
> -0.1.2.tar.bz2

I do think this package should also be
1. On gnustep server.
2. Available from the Download Gnustep web page.

Could someone with an access move it there or explain
why that would be undesirable?

MJRay wrote:

> It [backart] definitely wasn't as simple as "install libart, install
> nfonts" last time I used it and no fix has been described
> in the changelog.

I would like to cast my vote in favor of back-art over xlib.
I've updraded the system several times and have never had
problems with back-art installation, fonts included. I've
been using exclusively Linux though. What system did you
have problems with?

xlib backend has its own problems. Image rotation did
not work last time I checked it, transparency did not work.
On the same machine it was much slower with image operations
that backart.

> I remember alex fixing at least one bug and
> it still not working.

I actually want to praise Alex Malmberg for his great
work and attitude, too. After I reported one bug with
rescaling Alex immidiately fixed that ( but notice this
was normal bug report: specific code example, specific
wrong result ;) ). That is, I would say backart is better
supported that back-xlib :)

So I'm inclined towards backart if we make resources
available in standard places.

Tima.