Re: A little confused

From: Jeremy Tregunna
Subject: Re: A little confused
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 23:03:14 -0400

Well to answer this extremely vague question (not completely understanding what it is you want), I'll give you a couple of answers, you can find out which best suits you:

For starters, you don't need GNUstep at all if all you are doing is developing code that will be run on OSX. If you do want to be able to run your application on GNUstep platforms as well, you will need to convert your nib's to gmodels, then open up the gmodels in the Gorm program, save them as .gorm files. To accomplish this, you do your interfaces in Interface Builder on OS X, then you would have to have installed gnustep-make and gnustep-base at a minimum, plus the nib2gmodel program which converts nibs to gmodels (I have no direct experience with this proceedure, so I can't answer any questions you may have about that). If you want to build an existing GNUstep app on OS X (keep in mind not all applications are source compatible) and it only includes GNUmakefile's, no Project.xcode or Project.pbproj bundle, then you will need to have installed gnustep-make. You do NOT have to have any other part of GNUstep installed for building an application, as gnustep-make doesn't care which framework(s) you are using, be them part of Cocoa or part of GNUstep. If you want to be able to build your application on both OS X and GNUstep, keep in mind you will need to convert any .nib's you've created as meantioned above, but from there you have two choices. You can either 1) Create and maintain a build system using Xcode AND GNUmakefile's, or you can use gnustep-make only (nothing to keep in sync between build environments). I personally prefer the latter, even though I edit my code with Xcode.

Anyway, that should answer your question, one of those responses anyway.

--
Jeremy Tregunna
jtregunna@fuqn.ca