Re: NSControl question

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: NSControl question
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 01:42:38 +0200

Alexander Malmberg wrote:
Fred Kiefer wrote:
[snip]

We could be a bit more selective on the editing status of the cell, that
is, only call abortEditing when this cell is the one being edited.

I don't really see what you're getting at here. Note that -abortEditing does nothing if called on a view that isn't being edited.

This is because you only look at the implementation of NSControl for this method. In a control subclass with multiple cells we may set the value of a non-edited cell and in this case I think that we should not interfere with an ongoing editing at all.

[snip]

Starting a cleanup of NSCell is a great idea. As this will break (forward) compatibility (new ivars, which also need to be stored in archives)

Well, that remains to be seen, but it is likely.

 > with older GNUstep releases we should only start this after

the new GUI release, which hopefully will come out this week.

Heh, there's no risk that this will be done for this release. Even apart from compatibility and safety issues, there simply isn't enough time. :)

(Indeed, it remains to be seen whether it will be done for the next release... :/)

We really should try to get this into the next release. Getting closer to 1.0 should also mean that we are getting more feature complete at least for basic classes as NSCell.