Re: Excellent technical overview of D-BUS

From: Rogelio Serrano
Subject: Re: Excellent technical overview of D-BUS
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2004 13:59:46 +0800

On 2004-09-01 13:20:35 +0800 Richard Frith-Macdonald <richard@brainstorm.co.uk> wrote:

[snip]

I'm not sure it would be sufficient ... I can't see how it would handle the case where you ask for a service provided by any host on the network (ie specify the host name as '*' when creating an NSConnection). However, there may be a mechanism for
this that I missed.
Rewriting DO to use libdbus does not currently seem particularly useful ... basically it does not seem to provide any technical advantage. However, if someone was to provide an optional d-bus based implementation (preferably runtime selectable) which did not break the existing system, I would see that only as a good thing ... and we would have an opportunity to move over to it having been able to do a proper comparison of the performance and features
of the old and new code.

[snip]

I agree. I think it is better to extend gdomap so it becomes D-BUS daemon like . Then we split the network ipc part from the local ipc part. The network ipc part then becomes a server connected to and a client of the local ipc part. The network ipc part then can use any mechanism to do ipc, like multicast, broadcast, unicast, etc. If you dont want network DO then dont run the network ipc part.

--
Blood is thicker then water... And much tastier
                            John Davidorff Pell