Re: D-BUS versus GDOMAP (Was: D-BUS equivalent)

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: D-BUS versus GDOMAP (Was: D-BUS equivalent)
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 07:55:05 +0100

On 30 Aug 2004, at 13:45, Fred Kiefer wrote:

Alex Perez wrote:
D-bus is basically "DO Done Right" (with a proper authentication mechanism and significantly more focus on security. I've suggested a few times in #GNUstep (and maybe here on the list as well, check the archives) that we replace gdomap with it, since it's a lot more secure, more generally accepted as "canonical", has a much larger userbase, is a Freedesktop.org spec/app, meaning that Those Other Desktops(tm) will eventually use it (and quite possibly Xorg itself at a future date (after 6.8 is released, for sure) In any event, with alexm's default set, you do not need gdomap running for local-host DO (you only need it for inter-host DO) Personally I think that should be the default, but I'm relatively convinced that Richard Frith-McDonald would disagree with me on that point.

As I am not following #GNUstep I cannot remember hearing this suggestion before. So I will give the DBUS specification a closer look. Also I would like to learn, what Alexanders "default set" is.

I can't remember the actual default, but turning on GSMocOSXCompatible has the same effect (plus the other runtime compatibility tweaks).

Perhaps this could also help to run GNUstep in more hostile environments like MS Windows.

Only if someone will implement it for windows. At the momement we only have tcp/ip socket based communication on windows.