Re: System fonts

From: Banlu Kemiyatorn
Subject: Re: System fonts
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 16:50:10 +0700

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 18:22:30 +0900, Sungjin Chun <chunsj@embian.com> wrote:

> The problem is that for example, almost all rather good quality Korean
> fonts are
> proprietary, so we cannot mix them with FreeSans like free Latin fonts.
> Also, Korean
> fonts, like Chinese fonts, are hard to make compared to latin ones.
> (There are many
> number of glyphs in these fonts, for example Korean fonts needs more
> that 17,000
> glyphs for single fonts, I think chinese needs more) For these reasons,
> we need
> font substitution. Maybe I'm wrong :-)

I don't think this require back-end glyph substitution. There should be a way
to do this in AppKit. Making a new font type would break WYSIWYG and is
confusing other apps that want to share/print the document. My solution is
providing the range of the characters that you want to use in nfont. And AppKit
consult this range and won't use the character outside the range so it will
pick glyphs from another font in AppKit level (ie. latin glyphs).
]d