Re: System fonts

From: Rob Burns
Subject: Re: System fonts
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 09:48:52 +0700

On 2004-08-25 00:44:12 +0700 MJ Ray <mjr@dsl.pipex.com> wrote:

"Dmitry Kulyabov" <dharma@mx.pfu.edu.ru> wrote:
May be need to change font load order:
default font is FreeSans, and otherwise Vera Sans?

Thank you! You have just explained why I have been seeing blanks and rubbish instead of my non-Latin-1 characters! In the last upgrade, Vera Sans seems to have been made default on this machine. Probably my error, but I was following various instructions. I'm using back-x11 with antialiasing, by
the way.

I really think the default font should be FreeSans.

If GNUstep supported falling back to a different font if a glyph was unavailable in the current (default) font, the choice would be less important.

my .02

Rob (who's had a hard time finding a reasonable font that contains both Thai and Japanese glyphs)