Re: GNUstep Icons and look proposal

From: Quentin Mathé
Subject: Re: GNUstep Icons and look proposal
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2004 18:50:29 +0200

Le 21 août 04, à 16:47, Nicolas Roard a écrit :

Le 21 août 04, à 13:30, M. Uli Kusterer a écrit :

I'm not entirely fond of the 30-degree folder icons, but at least it's
a quite effective
trick to quickly spot folders.. But well, perhaps we shouldn't impose
rules on that,
after all.

 Personally, I never had a problem spotting folders. They usually are
rather big and have one continuous rectangular surface, while most other icons have more detail and a different shape. The folder itself already
is distinct enough in most cases, IMHO.

Personally, I have some problems to spot the folders icons when they are mixed with document icons and the used size is 16*16, which is always the case when we are in list view mode.

 But if someone else feels strongly about this, okay, leave it in. I
just find that having some items turned and others upright makes the
design look rather untidy, just as mixing 2D (as in "flat", not "frontal
view") and 3D would. Having it look more tidy and leaving it to the
theme designer to rotate things as they please would allow for more
consistent design, while still allowing for a theme that looks
mixed-and-matched.

Hmm .. yes, I think it's perhaps better to leave it to the designer in the end.
Quentin,your opinion ?

Well, as I said in a previous mail, I'm strongly in favor to keep the "30 degrees folder" for the default GNUstep icons set. In my opinion, this GNUstep Icons guidelines are here only to specify the default icons set and some extra official icons sets, and for the developer who want to nicely integrate its application with the official GNUstep look. For the icons designer who want to create a custom icons set, I think he should be free to do whatever he want, respecting or not our icons creation rules.

Quentin.

--
Quentin Mathé
qmathe@club-internet.fr