Re: GNUstep Icons and look proposal

From: Marciano Siniscalchi
Subject: Re: GNUstep Icons and look proposal
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2004 09:12:24 -0500

Nicolas Roard wrote:
Actually, yes, it won't be very hard to provide "icon themes". In fact, if you want it, just take Camaelon, remove most of the stuff and just keep the Image.m -- it will replaces all icons on the fly if the theme contains them. So technically, it's not a problem at all. Perhaps I should effectively provide a small "IconTheme" bundle if people want to package existing icons theme ? I probably won't do it myself (package thoses icons) but if someone want to do it, drop me a mail.

Does this mean that the Camaleon patch (ver. 0.1, I believe?) linked from your web page works with current (i.e. non-stable) versions of -base and -gui? I tried applying it a couple of months ago and had trouble with it. But I may have done something stupid, so don't worry about it too much.

BTW, I really think that a more up-to-date defaul theme for GNUstep is important. It's maybe OK to say that developers should look "under the hood" when considering a development framework. However, as a developer, I want to make sure that *users* will find the programs I write pleasant to the eye and consistent with what they are accustomed to.

Notice that I said "up-to-date default theme", not "themeability" (sp?). The latter is potentially more controversial, althouhg it would be useful for the purposes of customization and/or integration with existing DE's.

Again, just my $2E-10 worth...