Re: GNUstep.sh / env sanity patches

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: GNUstep.sh / env sanity patches
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2004 10:45:41 +0100 (BST)

> Don't be afraid to have some requirements that must by met by the system
> before this environment will work correctly. Someone looking for the
> GNUstep environment should be willing to provide it a functional system,
> not try to force it into a system that is diametrically opposed to the
> OpenStep philosophy.

Ahm -- you should look at it from the positive angle :-)

If you install gnustep-* using your standard ./configure; make; su -c
'make install' procedure in all gnustep base packages, you will get
exactly what you get now (hmm, core packages will have to be able to
determine GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES without it being set I guess ... anyway I'll
work on that).

The only exception is that you won't have to source GNUstep.sh when you
log in, everything will just work out of the box.  You will only have to
set GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES if you want to compile stuff.

That's an enormous improvement.  It's hugely easier for users.  Packaging
will be simpler.

How can you not agree that this is an improvement ?  The number 1 stupid
problem that new users have is not sourcing GNUstep.sh.  Real users don't
really understand sourcing anyway.  This will entirely remove the need for
it.

In many situations where sourcing GNUstep.sh is impractical (particularly
when working in alien systems such as Windows, Apple etc) this will also
solve the issue by just entirely removing the need for GNUstep.sh.  It
makes GNUstep easier to port and use in alien environments.

Bam! - great news - the system is the same but it's simpler and more
reliable to use.  I don't see how you can't agree this is a huge
improvement.

The system will also provide additional configurability in controlling
paths and stuff -- which you can ignore as you are not interested in it --
why do you care.  Anyway yes people will be able to relocate entire
installations and change paths in a config file, will be able to integrate
stuff with the native filesystem etc etc.

The default will remain what it is now -- GNUstep system/local domains.
But this additional configurability will be supported.  If you want to
convince people not to use it, do that, it's Ok, fight the heresy and
evangelize them all! :-)

But that configurability will be there soon, because a considerable amount
of users need/want it.  That's a fact of life.

Thanks for your comments, I much appreciated discussing with you!