Re: preferences api

From: Rogelio M . Serrano Jr .
Subject: Re: preferences api
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 13:30:24 +0800

On 2004-08-16 12:53:10 +0800 Richard Frith-Macdonald <richard@brainstorm.co.uk> wrote:

[snipped...]
No, there is a single user defaults database for each user.

This still leaves my original question unanswered. How do system daemons store and access their configs in GNUstep?

Exactly like any other program ...they use the user defaults database belonging to the user they are running as. As a general principle of security, a daemon should not run as root unless it really needs to, but if it did, it would use the root user defaults database.

All the daemon (24*7 server) processes I write for the company I work for are expected (for security) to run as a well known user. When we install our software, we set up a user account for it, and the processes check (on startup) that they are running as the expected user.

I don't think daemons are a problem for the current user defaults system at all ...

[snipped..]

I see. So all daemons need to have a home directory where the defaults files will be stored? Management of the daemon will require login as that user before you run the management apps. Or should root run the management apps and change identity? Thats one of the issue for the prgrams i wrote because they dont have home directories. I just put them in /etc for now. But it does not work with NSUserDefaults at all. Should we add /etc to the NSUserDefaults path?

Im going to use selinux later and im going to run them as root anyway. And have a group of administrators. Where do we put the file with access to these administrators without exposing roots settings? Another user?