Re: GNUstep and GTK+

From: Robert Burns
Subject: Re: GNUstep and GTK+
Date: Sun, 08 Aug 2004 12:15:26 -0500

Firstly, this is W. Robert Burns (wrburns on IRC). Not that other impostor. :-P

<kidding aside>

I would be interested in such a project. However, I think the wrong approach is being taken here (that's what it seems to me).

OpenStep and GTK are fundamentally different systems. GTK's not going to work well in a pure OpenStep-compliant framework, and vice versa. They have different layout management, different widgets, different feel. The difference is not just in the looks.

That said, I think it would be wonderful to have an OpenStep-*inspired* framework that uses GTK for the GUI. GNUstep-base could be used in a pure form, and the application API could be based on AppKit. I am NOT in favor of merely making a set of bindings for GTK. Rather, I'd like to design an AppKit-like system for GTK. It would not be OpenStep-compliant, but it would feel very much like OpenStep.

In short, the power of OpenStep with the availability of GTK. What's not to love?

Robert Burns