Re: GNUstep and GTK+

From: Yves de Champlain
Subject: Re: GNUstep and GTK+
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 2004 13:02:02 -0400

On Aug 5, 2004, at 9:00 PM, Adam Fedor wrote:

RMS has asked it is possible for GNUstep to have GTK+ bindings. Note
this is not using GTK with GNUstep, but would allow someone to compile
an application based on GTK with GNUstep - where GNUstep would
interpret the GTK calls and instead create GNUstep objects (windows,
etc).

This would be interesting as it could potentially open up a whole set
of Linux apps to run on GNUstep. THe downside is it would probably be
a lot of effort. I don't have time, so could someone volunteer to look
at whether this might be feasible or not?

I thought I had saw an effect for Mac OS X for the same thing for Cocoa
but I could be wrong.

http://gtk-quartz.sourceforge.net/

Maybe leveraging this will help get this off the ground.

-- Pinski

This project is idle at best since 2 years (so it seems) and
in the meanwhile, cinepaint (film-gimp) developers have started gtk-osx

"GTK+OSX was based on the abandoned mac-gtk project, an OS 9 effort that has laid dormant since 2000. Unlike the GTK-Quartz effort, GTK+OSX is Carbon-based and does not use Objective C."

because using quartz presented a lot of problems ...

yves