Re: ANN: Generator in DevKit

From: Marcel Weiher
Subject: Re: ANN: Generator in DevKit
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2004 17:56:47 +0100

Just saw this and it seems pretty cool.

For more complex operations I would suggest to use more advanced IDE as
described at http://ide.roard.com (unfortunately it seems to be
down at this moment). There are design notes and screenshots for a class oriented development environment, where you do not even know about source
files. You only know about classes, their instance variables and their
methods. In such IDE almost all source files are generated. It is a step forward and the chain now contains one more step: classes -> sources -> ASM -> binary.

Personally I do not like any automaticaly generated sources where user needs to insert his code. Either generate automaticaly full sources or let the user
write it. Normal user should not be allowed to edit generated code.

Well, my favorite option would be to hack an 'Objective-Smalltalk' front-end for gcc. That way, the 'sources' step from above disappears, and therefore there is no temptation to access them...

Marcel