Re: Generating an environment setting script

From: stefan
Subject: Re: Generating an environment setting script
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 09:19:34 +0200

Citát Alexander Malmberg <alexander@malmberg.org>:

> Hi,
>
> During some recent discussions of GNUstep.sh in #GNUstep (and, in
> particular, of problems using it with various shells), Andrew Ruder
> suggested a script that generates a script that sets the environment
> (instead of having a GNUstep.sh that both figures out what it needs to
> set in the environment _and_ sets the environment). Thence:

<snip>

> Comments? Thoughts?

I like it, thanks.

On the other hand, here are few questions about GNUstep.sh script:
- why we need it?
- who needs it - all users or certain group/type of users only?
- what tools rely on it? is'n there any other way to supply gnustep-based
configuration to those tools?

If there is issue with -make only, then i would suggest to get rid of that
script for standard users and make it developers-only. In addition, with
ProjectCenter there should be no need of that script for make process as PC
shuold take care of setting proper variables. Therefore the script should be
optional and for in-terminal development.

Moreover I see a little problem with this script as it is used by both:
system-wide configuration and per-user configuration. Example: you have gnustep
server run in initialisation process. There is no need to call make_services
for root user, because in fact it is not the root user that runs other programs
but initialisation process.

I am not sure that there is standard place between platforms from where this
script should be called, either for system-wide setup or user setup.

What are possible solutions for making this script optional?

Stefan Urbanek